Seeking a Golden Visa or other type of residency permit in Spain?

Seeking a Golden Visa or other type of residency permit in Spain?

AvaLaw is one of the most experienced firms when it comes to Golden Visa applications in Spain.

AvaLaw is one of the most experienced firms when it comes to Golden Visa applications in Spain – a residency and work permit for non-European investors and their families.

We also deal with all other types of residency and work permits, among others the non-lucrative visas, permits for highly qualified employees, or just the famous NIE-numbers should you wish to invest in Spain or need it for any other purpose.

Our English speaking immigration lawyers in Barcelona, Madrid and Balearics will save you time, money and head-aches by taking care of the bureaucracy so that you can concentrate on enjoying your new country of residency.

Watch our Immigration Lawyers explain it all here

FAQs on Immigration and Golden Visa

Do I have to become a tax resident in Spain to get my Non-lucrative Visa renewed?2018-06-19T20:21:14+00:00

Yes. To get it renewed you need to reside in Spain for at least 6 months in a year, and that implies becoming a tax resident in Spain.

What are the requirements to get a Non-lucrative Visa?2018-06-19T20:20:52+00:00

When applying for the non-lucrative visa you must have a certain level of income outside of Spain, or own assets that cover your maintenance in Spain. The amount of income for the year 2018 is 2130.04 euros per month for you and in the event that you bring family members, that require your financial support, the required amount per each family member is 532.51 euros a month. In the process, you must submit evidence that proves your income.

In addition to the requirements related to your livelihood, there are also requirements for your health conditions. You are required to provide a medical certificate that states neither you or any of your family members do not suffer from any dangerous diseases.

What is a Non-lucrative Visa?2018-06-19T20:20:16+00:00

Non-lucrative visa (Residence Visa) is a type of visa for non-EU citizens that does not allow lucrative activities from the applicant in Spain. However, the economic conditions of the applicant must be steady. The non-lucrative visa is for someone with a good economic situation who wishes to stay more than three months is Spain.

What are the requirements to get a Blue Card?2018-06-19T20:19:36+00:00

In order to obtain the permit for a highly-qualified worker, you must obtain a work and residence permit and work and residence visa.

The following requirements must be met in order to obtain the permit:

  • The applicant has to be a director and fulfill a key position.
  • We need to present proof of the position requiring a higher education. (Degree)
  • The annual salary must be 1.5 times the average annual salary or more
What is a permit for highly qualified employees, the so called “EU Blue Card”?2018-06-19T20:19:01+00:00

Permit for highly qualified employee (EU Blue Card) is a working permit for non-EU citizens that wish to work in Spain in a highly-skilled position. Acquiring the EU Blue Card allows you to reside and work temporarily in Spain. You are also able to request the permit for your family members.

The holder of the EU Blue Card is also allowed to work in other EU-member countries.

If I hire AvaLaw to organise the Golden Visa for me, what does the service consist of and what is required from my side?2018-06-19T20:17:58+00:00

It is quite simple, really. The only thing you need to do is to have the funds for the minimum investment readily available, visit Spain a few days to choose the property you wish to invest in, meet with a Spanish bank accompanied by one of our lawyers, and sign a Power of Attorney so that we can represent you. After this visit, our professionals can handle everything else on your behalf, remotely, under your instruction.

Our complete service package consists of assisting you in successfully closing the transaction to acquire the required investment in Spain, with minimum risk and no surprises during the acquisition process or after it has been completed.

Can I bring my family into Spain on a Golden Visa?2018-06-19T20:17:22+00:00

Yes, you can bring along your spouse or partner and your children under the age of 18, as well as any children over the age of 18 and parents if such persons are economically dependent on the investor. The visas for the family members are identical to the investor’s visa and can be obtained at the same time or upon subsequent petition, whichever is more convenient for the applicant.

Can I work in Spain with my Golden Visa?2018-06-19T20:13:25+00:00

Yes, the Golden Visa automatically confers you and your immediate family members work permits.

Do I have to stay for a minimum of time in Spain to ensure that I don’t lose my visa?2018-06-19T20:13:05+00:00

No, there is no minimum time period that has to be spent in Spain in order to keep the Golden Visa. If you voluntarily choose to spend more than six months in a single year in Spain, however, you will become a tax resident in Spain for that particular year obligating you to declare and pay taxes in Spain on your global income.

Does the Golden Visa make it easier to visit other European countries?2018-06-19T20:10:08+00:00

Yes, a Golden Visa works as a tourist visa for the rest of the countries that belong to the Schengen area. This means that the holder of the Golden Visa has the right to remain in Spain for an unlimited period of time, plus in the rest of the Schengen area for 90 days within each period of 180 days.

Can the Golden Visa be used to become a long-term resident or a citizen?2018-06-19T20:09:37+00:00

Yes, if you actually live in Spain permanently with your Golden Visa, your status can become a long-term resident after five years. The main effect is that you do not have to maintain the investment to keep your resident status. There is also the possibility to apply for a change of residency to another EU country.

If you live in Spain permanently, you can obtain Spanish citizenship after 10 years. Latin American citizens and those of certain other countries, however, can seek to attain citizenship after just two years.

The option to apply for citizenship applies only to investors who actually reside in Spain. Investors who come to Spain only occasionally with their Golden Visa are not eligible for citizenship.

Is there a limit to the number of times that I can extend the Golden Visa?2018-06-19T20:08:41+00:00

No, there is no limit to the number of times that the Golden Visa can be extended, but it is necessary to maintain the minimum investment at all times. A holder of a Golden Visa, however, is allowed to switch between types of investments, for example, from one property to another or from an investment in real estate to the holding of the minimum amount in a bank deposit.

For how long can I stay in Spain on my Golden Visa, and can it be extended upon expiry?2018-06-19T20:08:13+00:00

The initial investor’s residency permit is valid for two years and can be extended upon expiry for a period of five years, as long as you maintain the minimum level of investment.

What is the difference between the Golden Visa and other Spanish residency permits?2018-06-19T20:06:51+00:00

The Golden Visa differs radically from traditional Spanish residency permits in a number of aspects.

  • The renewal of a Golden Visa does not require a minimum annual stay in Spain.
  • The Golden Visa has an easier and faster application procedure. If the minimum investment is made and the applicant does not have a criminal record, the visa is practically always granted provided the application has been properly prepared and submitted.
  • The Golden Visa includes a working permit, the holder is automatically granted the right to work in Spain along with the right to reside in Spain.
  • The Golden Visa allows the investor to bring along his or her immediate family.
What exactly do I need to do to get the Golden Visa for my family?2018-06-19T20:06:02+00:00

1. Contact AvaLaw to schedule a free consultation in person, by phone or by skype. We will answer in detail to all your questions so that you can decide whether the Spanish Golden Visa Program can be applied in your situation.

2. Get to know the real-estate offering on-line. Depending on your search criteria, we can introduce you to a realtor from our network of prestigious, trustworthy and officially registered real-estate agents that our previous clients have been satisfied with.

3. Visit Spain to meet us and the realtors in person. After the first meeting and after having received a personalised proposal of services, if you believe that we are the right professionals to assist you, we can start the process to purchase the property and obtain the Golden Visa for your family.

4. Choose the property you like the best.

5. Open a Spanish bank account for the transaction. This is the only other thing you need to do in person while in Spain, everything else can be done remotely on your behalf by Power of Attorney.

6. Follow-up – or not! You can be an integral part of the process, participating as much as you wish – or you can just take it easy and only come to pick up the keys to your new property from our office 1-3 months later – and the Golden Visa 1 – 3 months after that.

How much does the whole process cost?2018-06-19T19:59:36+00:00

The taxes, service fees and other transaction costs vary locally and depend on the type of investment. In any case, a total budget of 600,000 euros per family is enough to get the Golden Visa anywhere in Spain for any type of property and for any type of family.

What are the requirements to obtain the Golden Visa?2018-06-19T19:58:58+00:00

The option with the lowest investment required is to invest 500,000 euros in Spanish real-estate, for example in one or several apartments, houses, land, parking slots or offices. The investment must be correctly made, and you must not have a criminal record, if you meet all this criteria, we can pretty much guarantee the Golden Visa for your family.

What is a Golden Visa?2018-06-19T19:58:19+00:00

The Golden Visa is a residency permit for non-EU citizens and allows you and your immediate family to live and work in Spain with no minimum or maximum requirements regarding the time spent in Spain.

Client testimonials

“we are very content with your work. Both your real estate and immigration departments do an excellent job. You have very simple and clear functions and processes. This leads to very good results”

Havva Kanbur,

Hi I’m Julia.

I specialize in international law and immigration.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any consultation on immigration and Golden Visa.

Inmigration contact
close slider

Get in touch

Sometimes you need a little help from your friends - or a legal advisor.

Feel free to send us an email and we will get back to you soon as possible.

Please contact me by:


AvaLaw Barcelona
Rambla Catalunya 25, 1-1
08007 Barcelona, Spain
Tel:+34 934 814 349